24 электрик

Jump to navigation Jump to search Western Electric Co. In 1856, George Shawk purchased an electrical engineering business in Cleveland, Ohio. On December 31, 1869, he became partners with Enos M. In 24 электрик, Gray sold his interests to Western Union, including the caveat that he had filed against Alexander Graham Bell’s patent application for the telephone.

1969 Western Electric keychain medallion celebrating the 100th anniversary of the company’s founding, made from the company’s recycled bronze metal of scrapped telephone equipment and issued to employees with an inscribed personal registration number. Western Electric was the first company to join in a Japanese joint venture with foreign capital. Western Electric’s representative in Japan was Walter Tenney Carleton. Supply Company, but in 1909 was forced by a lawsuit to sell back to Milo Kellogg. On July 24, 1915, employees of the Hawthorne Works boarded the SS Eastland in downtown Chicago for a company picnic. The ship rolled over at the dock and over 800 people died.

In 1920, Alice Heacock Seidel was the first of Western Electric’s female employees to be given permission to stay on after she had married. This set a precedent in the company, which previously had not allowed married women in their employ. Miss Heacock had worked for Western Electric for sixteen years before her marriage, and was at the time the highest-paid secretary in the company. T, to avoid an antitrust action. Early on, Western Electric also managed an electrical equipment distribution business, furnishing its customers with non-telephone products made by other manufacturers.

This electrical distribution business was spun off from Western Electric in 1925 and organized into a separate company, Graybar Electric Company, in honor of the company’s founders, Elisha Gray and Enos Barton. Western Electric used various logos during its existence. T, which also owned Western Electric. Each phone was leased from the phone company on a monthly basis by customers who generally paid for their phone as part of the recurring lease fees. 10 per month, including the leased phone. T also strictly enforced policies against using telephone equipment by other manufacturers on their network. A customer who insisted on using a telephone not supplied by the Bell System had to first transfer the phone to the local Bell operating company, who leased the phone back to the customer for a monthly charge in addition to a re-wiring fee.

Until 1983, Western Electric telephones or their components could only be leased by subscribers and never resold, and were repaired by the Bell System operating companies at no charge to the customer. This led Western Electric to pursue extreme reliability and durability in design to minimize service calls. In particular, the work of Walter A. T’s competitors in providing telephone service in the U. In 1905, Western Electric began construction of the Hawthorne Works on the outskirts of Chicago and which, by 1914 had absorbed all manufacturing work from Clinton Street and Western Electric’s other plant in New York City.

Paul, MN: In 1944, Western Electric purchased a factory in St. Paul, Minnesota to restart manufacture of telephone sets for civilian installation as authorized by War Production Board. By 1946, some of these facilities were relocated to the Hawthorne plant as space became available from war-production scale down. In 1926, Western Electric issued the first Bell System telephone with a handset containing both the transmitter and receiver in the same unit.

Previous telephones had been of the candlestick type which featured a stationary transmitter in the desktop set or the wall-mounted unit, and a hand-held receiver to be placed on the user’s ear. Concurrently to the mechanical advances, the electrical circuitry of Western Electric telephones saw advances in sidetone reduction. Sidetone is electronic feedback by which the users of the telephone can hear their own voice in the receiver. While a desirable property, this feedback, when too loud, causes most users to lower their voice volume to unacceptable levels. The year 1936 brought the announcement of the model 302 telephone, the first Western Electric instrument that combined the desktop telephone set with the subscriber set and ringer in one unit.